GuRL 6

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Looking for suggestions on new hair layout !

I've been threatning to make finding a specific style easier at GuRL 6 for a long time, and I really do need to. My plan for locating a specific style is a detailed map with an alphabetical key so that you can look up the hair on a notecard in alpha order then just look next to it for its specific location via landmark or directions on the map. This process will take quite a bit of time as I haven't counted how many hairstyles are in gurlywood but i would put my guess at around 500.

The store has been open for over 2 years and I think other than the "hair of the month" limited editions, I have only retired around 10 styles. I am such a packrat and hate to get rid of anything. One Idea I have is rather than delete forever some of those old styles that still have a place in my heart is to pick them off the floor, but keep a catalog of them for people to just direct order if they wish. But looking for your suggestions on that too if you think its best to just cut ties with them lol.. and move on !!

I currently have a layout map of the store with a key that I made about 6 months ago that is already outdated and before I create the new one and make the final key that will only be updated to add new styles, I want to make sure to have the hairs where they are most convienent for people as well as a good system in place for where they should move once off the new release racks.

Currently once a hair leaves the new release rack it goes over to the left wing of the store in the next available open spot. That has been working out great for me as far as i just take an item off the new release rack, replace it with something new , then move that bumped hair to the left wing of the store's coming soon side.


Keeping the hairs in an alphabetical layout would be near impossible since that would mean every time a new hair is added the entire store would have to shift. I tried once before to seperate by style but found out pretty quickly that not all hair can fit into a category... is it long? is it curly? is it curly and long? is it an updo is it a half updo half long curly hair with mohawk? lol.. so this is where I would love to have some guidence. So if you have suffered through reading all this please copy and paste the questionnaire below to a notecard and send to me in world, or just answer in the comments section of this blog , whichever is easier for you. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!!


1. Is having the flexi and static hair seperated important to you?


2. Would you prefer to have older styles retired or put in some kind of catalogue ?


3. If hair was seperated into sections based on mood and/or occasion what are some of the sections you think there should be or would helpful to shop under? ( example : Formal, Retro, )


4. Any other ideas or suggestions for improving your shopping experience at gurlywood?




Thanks so much !!!
:3 Six



7 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know that many ask for a specific type of style - to separate by long/short, formal/informal alone would be wonderful.

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Shenandoah Saintlouis said...

Hi,

Maybe seperate them by updo, short, shoulderlength and long?
And these 4 sections in alphabetical order.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Separating by styles and alphabetical order is a great idea. As well, as flexi and static separated.
styles: updo / short / long / ponytail / bairds // flexi / static

Don't think you should remove older styles because some people might look for it. Well, you can sell them OnRez to save space and avoid lag.

<3

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Gwyneth Llewelyn said...

I can only say that the last time I tried to find a copy of the Tara hairstyle for my "twin alt" (who is an exact replica of myself ;) ) I took hmm... *holds breath*... SIX HOURS to find it at GuRL 6 :)

Alphabetic ordering would help a lot. Or, well, a simple directory system where you can type part of a name or so, and it'll use particles to point at the spot where that hair is sold.

Very useful if you know how it is called (because you've seen it announced somewhere) but can't seem to find it anywhere :)

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Tenshi said...

I'd separate by style (pony, short, long, etc, DO NOT put a flexi category because it just doesn't help) and then alphabetize the hairs.

This might be hard to keep up with though. I don't know.

Also - can you use my suggestion and put "blonde" for blondes and "brunette browns" for, well, the browns? This would help me a lot in my inventory sorting...

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Six, personally I like having the flexi separate from the non-flexi but I know there are styles that are partially flexi and trying to figure that out is a nightmare probably.

I agree that separating styles by updo, short, shoulder length, long and maybe ponies and piggies might be a good idea.

I was also thinking that I would like to see in each section a recently released section. (Stuff that's been there since the last month but isn't brand brand new) because a couple times I had to wait to come buy something and didn't realize your system and took forever to find it.

Also, an inside tp would be useful where you can chooose say Long and bounce to that section without having to struggle quite so much with lag.

I think Ana has a good idea with older styles - put them on On Rez or Slx - or even have a newbie store (Though I know you already do a lot for newbies) in a separate area. That way you make a bit more room for yourself in the main store.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: I'm not sure that separating by theme or mood is useful to me, or the general shopper. It wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe put a few suggested styles. Like, we suggest such and such a style for evening or something like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home